plat map


Block 103:

The Boswell House

This  3-story Georgian house at 801 Rio Grande was built in 1905 for businessman William A. Boswell.

In 1978, John Mackey and a friend opened SaferWay Natural Foods & Cafe here.  Two years later they moved out to merge their store with Clarksville Natural Grocery, resulting in the first Whole Foods Store.

The house is now the home of the Khabele School.


Source:  Heritage Society of Austin, Historic Austin: A Collection of Walking/Driving Tours, 1981, pg.27; "History of Whole Foods Market," on the Whole Foods website; 1979 City Directory, Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.


801 Rio Grande pic
nav map